Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Panzerkompanie vs. Armoured Company - FoW AAR

Finally, a battle report! Sorry about the lack of a post last week to anyone who may actually be reading this and isn't a referral site bot. 

I decided that we needed a game to get back into FoW after a long absence, and in my own humble opinion FoW's best with a mid-point tank battle between tanks that are actually capable of do damage to each other. As such, I created a couple of lists in Easy Army (using the new Overlord book for the Allies and the older Fortress Europe for the Germans). They were:

Armoured Squadron, 4th (Confident Veteran)
HQ - 2 Shermans
Armoured Platoon - 2 , 1 Firefly
Armoured Platoon - 2 Shermans, 1 Firefly
Armoured Platoon - 2 Shermans, 1 Firefly
Armoured Regimental Recce Platoon - 3 Stuart Vs
Armoured Recce Platoon - 3 Cromwells (Confident Trained)

Panzerkompanie (Confident Trained)
Panzerkompanie HG - 2 Panzer IV
Panzer Platoon - 3 Panzer IV
Panzer Platoon - 3 Panzer IV
Panzer Platoon - 3 Panzer IV
Assault Gun Platoon - 2 StuG IV
Panzerspäh Patrol - Sd Kfz 234/2 (Puma)

Just from the lists, you can tell I was going with a semi-vanilla feel to ease us back in. I was glad I did so, as it had been awhile since we played - but I can say that the game went off without a hitch, with only a few glances to the rulebook.

We rolled up Encounter as the mission, and Curt choose to attack.

The table. Curt futilely tries to get the attention of one of the dogs. 


As we both started with only two platoons on the table, our opening turns were a game of move and countermove.


My 2ic takes a gander down a long firing lane.


What's the only way to counter an attack from cover?


Get stuck up in 'em!


My 2ic snuck into the field in an attempt to flank the British tanks. Poor dice rolls on both sides meant no casualties for the first few turns.


My company commander also tried to sneak around the British flank.


One of the defending Shermans was hit and burst into flames - first blood to the Germans!


Curt started getting reinforcements on Turn 4, at the top right of the table.


The fighting intensified as reinforcements began to arrive for both sides.


The platoon commander for one of the Panzer IV platoons retreated off the table after the rest of his platoon was destroyed.


Thankfully, a trio of Pumas arrived to cover the vulnerable objective.


The 2ic, still moving around the side, suddenly found himself swarmed by Stuarts!


Even at close range, however, the Stuart's tiny gun couldn't damage the Panzer IV, and the 2ic moved to attack his British counterpart.


The real fighting was on the right. With three platoons lost over the course of the game, Curt was forced to make a Company morale check, which he failed. The British retreat!

It was a fun game. The Germans are one of my various projects to get painted up during the summer, right after my Saga and French-Indian War miniatures. 

2 comments:

  1. Cool lil' batrep, bro.
    Are those PSC Panzer IV's or Battlefront? I can't really tell, but if they're missing the Shurtzen, I'm guessing they're BF models- cuz those Shurtzen were painful to try and make work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a mix, actually - the black/grey ones are Battlefront, and the tan are PSC! I've got the Schurzen for the PSC tanks just waiting, and I'll attach them after I've gotten the tanks/schurzen painted indiviudally.

      As for the BF models, I'll be getting the older metal schurzen if I can, since they're a whole hell of a lot easier to glue into place.

      Delete