Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Trunk to Trunk - ADLG AAR

Bob and I met up at Stomping Grounds for a game of L'Art de la Guerre, with thanks to Chris for hastily assembling enough terrain and a mat for us to play on. 


I was the defender, and failed to place either the river or the village on the table. The terrain for the game ended up being three fields and a gentle hill.


The game was an Indian civil war. Bob was running a Classical Indian list, with a bunch of elite elephants and mixed medium swordsmen/bowmen units. I had a Tamil Indian list, with ordinary elephants, impetuous medium swordsmen, and a few mediocre bowmen.


For the first turn, both sides simply advanced. Bob and I quickly realized that this game was going to come down to dice rolls - neither side had the command quality or right types of units for any fancy maneuvering.


As the gap closed, Bob's mixed units opened fire, causing disorder in my battleline.


Undeterred, my generals forced their units forward, and the two lines clashed. Bob's dice were hot, and my units took the brunt of the damage in the first turn of the fighting.


However, the dice turned to my side, though the fact that Bob's infantry units were mediocre quality in combat helped. Holes started to appear in both sides' lines.


Units on both sides continued to rout, but the majority were on Bob's side. And with a break point of 24 to 19, my larger force could hang on longer than Bob's smaller, more expensive army.


Finally, one last round of combat saw enough units routed on Bob's side (including disordered tokens, which we had sort of forgotten to count until this point in the game) to pass his army's breakpoint. However, my Tamil force had also seen a high amount of routed units and disorder tokens, so we decided that the game ended with a minor victory to my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment