Monday, January 1, 2018

2018 6x6 Challenge

Happy New Year, everyone!

As I mentioned in the 2017 6x6 wrap-up post, the Challenge won't be continuing this year, due to a variety of reasons. But that doesn't mean I can't make it a personal goal! 

Unlike some others in the group, I found the challenge's focus helped me finished painting models for some games, and helped me bring out rulesets for other games that I hadn't played in some time. 

So, here's the list for 2018:

Arena Rex
The only repeat from last year, Arena Rex is another one of those rulesets where, like Saga, I have a fully painted force, but it's sitting unused. Hopefully I can find some locals in the area who are willing to jump in. 

De Bellis Antiquitatis
DBA is an old workhorse ruleset that I kind of feel an obligation to play, especially since I have the newest ruleset and four armies (Early Imperial Romans, Ancient British, Anglo-Saxons, and Vikings). I've also got a fantastic 2'x2' tournament mat from Gorgon Studios that deserves to be used more often. 

Muskets & Tomahawks
The French & Indian War is a personal favorite period in history, and I've got enough painted miniatures to start with smaller games. Thanks to a kickstarter from AW miniatures, I've enough civilians and regulars to bring the games up to a larger size. 

Test of Honour
Yes, this is a bit of a cheat since I'm already involved in an ongoing campaign. But I've put plenty of time getting these miniatures painted, so I'm just going to give myself at least one easy goal. 

Warmaster Revolution
I've always enjoyed Games Workshop's Old World setting, but apart from a few games of 8th Edition back when I first started in the hobby, I never really had the chance to play in it. My plan here is to use some paper counters, and hopefully graduated to a miniature-only force by the end of the year.

WWII
A second cheat, but for a good reason. Ever since Flames of War died out in the area, I have a bunch of fully painted 1944-45 British that haven't seen the light of days in a couple years now, and an equal amount of unpainted Germans from the same period collecting dust on a shelf. I'm going to try and find at least one ruleset that I enjoy and lets me get these models out on the table again. However, this may also include any dabbling and experimentation with other scales and games, like playing Rommel in 6mm, or Bolt Action in 28mm. And, potentially, it may get a little "weird."

So, that's the plan. A little more daunting than last year (especially since I failed to complete 2017's challenge), with less skirmish sized games. But even if I don't make it, at least I'll be able to end the year with more miniatures painted and a few games played. 

No comments:

Post a Comment